Accessing ethernet.

Guy Harris auspex!guy at uunet.uu.net
Wed Dec 27 08:19:10 AEST 1989

>> You cannot access ethernet the same way as /dev/ttya.  The HoneyDanBer
>> implementation of UUCP is supposed to be able to build a connection
>> through the ethernet as a TCP port, but the version of UUCP that Sun
>> distributes does not have this feature.
>
>I'm quite sure Sun's version of UUCP does have this feature.

I'm quite sure Sun's version of UUCP, as it comes off the SunOS
distribution tape in currently-available releases, does *not* have this
feature; I've seen the source code (and tried doing

	strings -3 /usr/lib/uucp/uucico | egrep TCP

which didn't find TCP; it did find ACU when I grepped for it).  It'll be
in the one in SunOS 4.1, unless they've taken it out; I know that because
I'm the one who put Peter Honeyman's code to support it into the
S5R3.2-HDB-based SunOS 4.1 UUCP (along with the "max grade" stuff, and
various other of Peter's improvements).

>and that the `uucpd' is listed in /etc/inetd.conf on the remote system.

Fat lot of good that'll do you; "uucpd" doesn't come with SunOS prior to
SunOS 4.1 (where it'll be called "in.uucpd" as per the renaming of other
Internet daemons, unless they've changed the name; I figured I'd go with
the flow...).

If you want to run UUCP-over-TCP, and you have 4.3BSD or 4.3-tahoe source,
try bringing up that version.  It's not just a drop-in; the 4.3BSD version
still has some null-pointer-dereferencing problems, and the 4.3-tahoe
version apparently requires, among other things, the 4.3-tahoe version of
"getopt" rather than the S5-derived "getopt" in SunOS.  They also require
you to move subdirectories of "/usr/spool/uucp" around and create some new
ones, and to change some of the configuration files.