getwd() call problems

Laura Pearlman rcc!pearlman at rand.org
Thu Dec 21 14:38:13 AEST 1989

Sun's getwd function can potentially stat all the mount points, all the
current directory's siblings, and the siblings of all the current
directory's ancestors in the process of determining the current working
directory.  I've written a few system calls to determine a file's
filesystem id (since the fsid is a local concept, it's not necessary to
contact a file's server to determine its fsid) and rewritten getwd to run
stats only on directories that are on the same filesystem as the current
directory.  We've only been running my version of getwd for a short time,
but so far it seems to have solved all our getwd-hanging problems.

I could provide sources to my system calls and context diffs to getwd.c
if anyone's interested.

		-- Laura Pearlman
		   pearlman at rand.org