boot MUNIX from a tapeless host?

Jason Heirtzler jdh at bu-pub.BU.EDU
Thu Dec 21 14:02:09 AEST 1989

There are times when it would be handy to boot MUNIX (that is "memory
resident Unix" - as opposed to mini unix) even if you don't have a local
tape drive.

How about a "proxy boot" program that resides on a remote tape host and
allows your workstation to boot from that tape drive?  Is there something
of this ilk lurking on the net or internal to Sun?

Yes, yes, I realize that it's possible to copy munix off tape, onto a
remote tape host, and then boot off this disk file, but this isn't what
I'm looking for.

Can someone (Sun?) tell me exactly what's required to make this "proxy
boot" program work?  Any special magic required?

Jason Heirtzler
Information Technology
Boston University
jdh at bu-pub.bu.edu  ( or ..!harvard!bu-cs!bu-it!jdh )