Versatec raster format

s06 gammill at everest.den.mmc.com
Sat Dec 23 11:54:21 AEST 1989

I have a need to import ComputerVision Versatec plot files into a raster
image viewing system.  The vendor of the raster viewing software claims
they can import Versatec raster images.  However, ComputerVision (CV) does
not output a standard Versatec raster image.  Their CADDS command PLOT DOT
produces a proprietary format.  CV is fairly new to the Sun world, so I
doubt many readers know of it.

BUT....

Does anyone know of a converter to read a CV Versatec plot file and
generate a standard Versatec raster image as a disk file?

Alternatively: CV has several filters (device drivers?) that convert their
format to Versatecs.  However each of these EXPECT a device as the output.
In other words, something of this nature:

             /usr/lib/versatecf < myplot > myraster

Does not work.  One gets errors:  "cannot put plotter into print mode"
(Where myplot is a CV generated disk file, and myraster is a hope and a
prayer.)

And -- I have tried lpr. The command lpr -v -s myplot -PVST0 will output a
good plot on the versatec.  But I can not redirect lpr to disk either (it
also expects a dev) ie: lpr -v -s < myplot > myraster, does not work.

I have tried working with the printcap also.  Adding in ms=raw and
changeing the dev output to a disk file.  No go.

I am currently pushing on CV for help.  But I thought I would give this a
shot.