Sun rasterfile conversion to X11.3 xwd

Steven Mikes smikes at hound.att.com
Wed Dec 6 09:11:37 AEST 1989

I have some files produced by the "screendump" utility on a Sun(3/4) that
I want to display in an X11.3 application, preferably using the xwud
utility.  Is there a way to get Sun rasterfile format data directly over
to x window dump format (without having to write my own utility of course
... call me lazy, but I think SOMEONE out there must already have done
this!) ?

If anyone out there already knows how to do this, please clue me in.
(Sun, you should already know how to do this, surely someone over there
has had the need to do something like this, eh?)

Thanks, in advance:

Steven Mikes
{att!}hound!smikes
(201) 949-7737

[[Ed's Note: A casual browsing of our system utilities shows this
program - xbgsun which looks like the kind of thing you are looking for.
We don't have source publicly available, and I was unable to track down
where it originally came from, so you'll have to write the author if you
are interested. -bdg]]

NAME
     xbgsun - load a Sun rasterfile onto an X11 root window

DESCRIPTION
     Xbgsun loads a Sun monochrome rasterfile onto  an  X11  root
     window.  If the rasterfile name ends in .Z, the file will be
     uncompressed before  loading  (this  saves  a  lot  of  disk
     space).

AUTHOR
     Jim Frost
     madd at bu-it.bu.edu