Blinking cursor

Craig Milo Rogers rogers at wlf.isi.edu
Thu Dec 21 04:29:26 AEST 1989

In article <3784 at brazos.Rice.edu> tots!heinlein!tep at suntan.west.sun.com (Tom Perrine) writes:
>I have a user that wants the block (input cursor) to blink in a shelltool,
>"just like on my real terminal". Of course, they mean the solid block that
>you see in the input-focused (active) window.
>(I find this to a dubious feature, myself, but, Hey, its not my
>environment, who am I to impose anything on anyone else.)
>I can't find anything in any of the docs I have looked in, so obviously I
>looked in the wrong place :-)
>Does anyone know how to make the block blink?

I ran into this problem in 1987 when I started using the Oracle database.
The Oracle screen interface product, SQL*Forms, was designed with a
standard VT100 or better terminal in mind.  It is difficult to use this
program with the usual Sunview highlighting and cursor options.

Our solution was to modify Suntools and implement a blinking text cursor
option for tty subwindows.  As is usual with most modularized software
systems, the changes are spread across several modules.  There also
appears to be a minor error in or exposed by these changes, as there are
times when the blinking cursor doesn't start blinking when the window is
selected.

These changes apply to SunOS version 3.5.  If you are interested, please
send me email.