External drive, tape for Sun 3/80

weber at cg-atla.agfa.com weber at cg-atla.agfa.com
Sat Dec 9 01:36:25 AEST 1989

In article <3249 at brazos.Rice.edu> you write:

>I've received my new Sun 3/80 and am feeling a bit cramped by "only"
>having the two built-in 100 Meg drives.  Can anyone recommend a supplier
>for a reasonably priced expansion box containing a 300 Meg drive, and a
>cartridge tape?  (I'm sorry if I missed the discussions of this.)

Try DELTA Microsystems.  Failing that, be sure you buy devices which are
supported by the Sun format program.  You'll pay a little more but you'll
get stuff that works and is reliable.  There's alot of junk out there.

>Also, does the Sun 3/80 use a newer SCSI protocol (synchronous?), which
>would not allow me to interface to an old-style shoe-box?

The new SCSI interface is still compatable with the older async interface.
There is way too much async stuff out there.  Most devices sold today are
still async.

Jeff Weber