Seeking RPC and XDR information

Mark Stein marks at sun.com
Wed Jul 19 02:52:31 AEST 1989

>From a message in Sun-Spots Digest, v8n67:

> I would like to find out if there are any public domain implementations of
> Suns RPC (Remote Proceedure Call) and XDR (External Data Representation)
> protocols for any operating system.  According to our Sun represenative,
> the protocol specifications are available publicly (I have the specs. in
> the manual 'Networking on the Sun Workstation'), but we require a SunOS
> and AT&T Unix source licences to get the actual implementation source
> code.

As longtime readers of Sun-Spots know, this statement by the Sun
representative is incorrect.  The code is freely available from Sun, and
has been posted to the net several times.  And is available in the
Sun-Spots archive.  There is a license required for the full ONC/NFS
source, but no licenses are required for RPC/XDR source.

I have sent a message to Sun field technical people to clear this up.

Mark Stein <marks at sun.com>
Sun Microsystems, Inc.