Seeking RPC and XDR information

Michael Thompson bnrmtv!miket at ames.arc.nasa.gov
Sat Jul 8 05:06:55 AEST 1989

Greetings everyone,

I would like to find out if there are any public domain implementations of
Suns RPC (Remote Proceedure Call) and XDR (External Data Representation)
protocols for any operating system.  According to our Sun represenative,
the protocol specifications are available publicly (I have the specs. in
the manual 'Networking on the Sun Workstation'), but we require a SunOS
and AT&T Unix source licences to get the actual implementation source
code.

I am trying to see how feasable it would be to create an ethernet device
which would be controlled by RPC calls from a remote Sun workstation.  RPC
and XDR will have to be embedded in the firmware on the device.  I know I
can come up with compatible routines from the specifications provided by
Sun, but example source code from someone else's RPC and XDR
implementation would make the task a whole lot easier.  Examples of RPC
implemented over UDP/IP or TCP/IP on an MS/DOS based machine would be
ideal.

I would be extremely grateful for any leads someone can give me in this
area.  Also any general comments on RPC would be welcome.

Thanks,

Mike Thompson