bug# 1009122, 1014577, 1011562 fixed yet ??

Eric Ho eho at word.princeton.edu
Fri Jul 21 09:39:46 AEST 1989

Has these 4.0 bugs been fixed yet ?  I saw them in the June 1989 Customer
Distributed Buglist.

Reference #: 1011562
Release: 4.0
Synopsis: writes to some files can get lost
  An nfs server can lose a write to a file if the file is written on a 4.0
  SunOS server while being accessed for an fns read request in some
  circumstances.  The data written will be  part of the file for a while.  But
  later if the data has to reread from disk, the same file will have old or
  garbage data.

Reference #: 1014577
Release: 4.0
Synopsis: NFS mounted files occasionally get garbage/nulls written to them
  Occasionally when writing to nfs mounted files, parts of a file are replaced
  exactly (no insertion or deletions) with garbage, usually nulls.  This can
  span several appends to the file by distinct processes running minutes
  apart.

Reference #: 1009122
Release: 4.0beta
Synopsis: Sometimes read operations fail
  Mysterius I/O errors appear with SunOS 4.0.  The symptom varies but it seems
  as if reads from disk files sometimes return bogus data.

These are really serious bugs especially when one has an nfs server acting
also as a centralized mailserver (bug 1011562) and /var/spool/mail is
centralized on the mailserver and hence nfs-mounted by other clients (bug
1014577) -- I'm getting bogus data & old mail messages got overwritten in
people's system mailboxes from time to time.  My whole net is running OS
4.0.1 (I've both Sun-3 & Sun-4 architecture nodes/servers).

Eric Ho
Cognitive Science Lab.,		Princeton University
voice = 609-987-2819 (x2987)	email = eho at confidence.princeton.edu
					eho at bogey.princeton.edu