Connecting a laserwriter to a 3/80

Thomas A. Longstaf longstaf at frostedflakes.llnl.gov
Sun Jul 9 03:17:09 AEST 1989

I have a new 3/80 that I am trying to use as a print server for a number
of machines.  I am using the standard transcript package with an Apple
laserwriter plus.  My problem is that when I connect the apple laserwriter
to the Sun (port ttya), I get a number of "Offending Command" message with
what looks like garbage.  I can connect a terminal just fine, and can
connect the same terminal to the laserwriter (and use executive mode) with
no problem.  But as soon as I connect the laserwriter, nothing works.

This problem happens even with the transcript software un-installed.  I
cannot even tip out to the printer (but can tip to the terminal with no
problem).  The terminal is 7 bit, even parity; which should be the same as
the laserwriter.  Any idea what's going wrong?!?

Tom Longstaff				longstaf at frostedflakes.llnl.gov
{lll-crg,harvard,sun,dual,rutgers,seismo,ihnp4}!lll-lcc!longstaf
Lawrence Livermore Natl Lab		L-542, Box 808
415-423-4416				Livermore, CA 94550