syslog on sun{3,386i,4}

Lisa Hamet hamet at chrpserv.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Jul 13 06:13:33 AEST 1989

In article <4244 at kalliope.rice.edu> metaware!riscy!adam at ucscc.ucsc.edu (Adam Margulies) writes:

>syslog seems to like to take over a system from time to time and eat 80%
>of the cpu time. It writes nothing to /usr/adm/messages so I can't tell if
>it is doing it for good REASON or anything.  syslog just hates me.
>
>how can i free myself from it, other than turning it off all together?
>
>--
>adam margulies          metaware inc.         "compilers, from a higher source"

***

Adam,

I had the same problem, and it drove me crazy, because every time I
thought I had fixed it, it would pop up again a few hours/days later.  I
finally called Sun, and the problem is caused by sendmail trying to log
activity.  To fix the problem, add the following line to syslog.conf.  It
must be the FIRST line in the file. Pay careful attention to spaces.  It
has to be typed EXACTLY this way.  (I put in extra spaces the first time,
and it didn't solve the problem.)

define(LOGHOST, 1)

It is amazing that Sun doesn't put this in the default syslog.conf, or at
least mention it in the documentation.

Lisa Hamet