syslog on sun{3,386i,4}

Chuq Von Rospach chuq at apple.com
Tue Jul 11 06:09:45 AEST 1989

metaware!riscy!adam at ucscc.ucsc.edu (Adam Margulies) writes:

>syslog seems to like to take over a system from time to time and eat 80%
>of the cpu time. It writes nothing to /usr/adm/messages so I can't tell if
>it is doing it for good REASON or anything.  syslog just hates me.

Sun shipped a syslog.conf that was buggy for systems that act as their own
loghosts. Check the Read This First for the fix. The symptom is that after
a while syslog goes into an infinite loop and eats your CPU for lunch.
What's happening is that syslog is trying to connect to the loghost, which
is really itself, and can't handle the condition where it connect to
itself.  End result: it goes catatonic.

The fix is trivial, but for some reason I no longer have my notes on Sun's
handy.

Chuq Von Rospach      =|=     Editor,OtherRealms     =|=     Member SFWA/ASFA
         chuq at apple.com   =|=  CI$: 73317,635  =|=  AppleLink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

You are false data. Therefore I shall ignore you.