RCS under 4.0.1

Guy Harris auspex!guy at uunet.uu.net
Sat Jul 29 04:27:41 AEST 1989

 >>Has anyone got RCS installed & working correctly under SunOS 4.0.1 ?  I
 >>got a copy of RCS from uunet last night and when I compiled the thing, it
 >>barfed at rcsutil.c (saying some illegal pointer types or something).  I'm
 >>doing this on a Sun-4/110M-16 with a GENERIC kernel.
 >
 >I had the same problem with it on a Sun3/60 under 4.0.1.  I retrieved my
 >copy from purdue, supposedly the latest version.  Either way,  I found
 >that the easiest way to get it to compile without error was to use the GNU
 >c-compiler (gcc1.35).  Now it works just fine.  Don't forget to use the
 >"-traditional" flag.

No, the easiest way to get it to compile without error is to read the
configuration instructions - in the Makefile, as pointed out by the
README file:

	7) All sources for RCS are contained in the "src" subdirectory.
	Read the directions in its Makefile to set up the correct compile
	options for building RCS on your system.

and note the following:

	#     Also, set SIGNAL_TYPE to be what your signal() handlers yield.
	#     Old-fashioned signal handlers yield 'int'; the newer ones 'void'.

	SIGNAL_TYPE = int

and note also that SunOS 4.x has new-fangled POSIX-style signal handler
declarations that have handlers returning "void", and change that line to:

	SIGNAL_TYPE = void