RCS under 4.0.1

Daniel Trinkle trinkle at cs.purdue.edu
Sat Jul 29 07:12:38 AEST 1989

>Date:    9 Jul 89 21:07:34 GMT
>From:    eho at cognito.princeton.edu (Eric Ho)
>Subject: RCS under 4.0.1 ??
>
>Has anyone got RCS installed & working correctly under SunOS 4.0.1 ?  I
>got a copy of RCS from uunet last night and when I compiled the thing, it
>barfed at rcsutil.c (saying some illegal pointer types or something).  I'm
>doing this on a Sun-4/110M-16 with a GENERIC kernel.

I already responded to the original poster, but it appears other people
are having the same problem.  In the Makefile, there is an explanation
about declaring the type expected by signal of the signal handler.  On a
Sun runnin SunOS 4.0*, this should be "void", not "int".  It works fine
here with the SunOS compiler.

This is an excerpt from the Makefile:

# 4.  Set the operating system variable OS. If you run on 4.1 BSD, do not
#     define OS:
#     OS  =
#     If you run on USG Unix or UN*X, use:
#     OS  = -DUSG
#     If you run on Version 6 Unix, use:
#     OS  = -DV6
#     If you run on 4.2 or 4.3 BSD, use:
#     OS = -DV4_2BSD
OS        = -DV4_2BSD

#     Also, set SIGNAL_TYPE to be what your signal() handlers yield.
#     Old-fashioned signal handlers yield 'int'; the newer ones 'void'.

SIGNAL_TYPE = int

Daniel Trinkle			trinkle at cs.purdue.edu
Dept. of Computer Sciences	{backbone}!purdue!trinkle
Purdue University		317-494-7844
West Lafayette, IN 47907