sps & top on Sun 386i RRs

Bill LeFebvre phil at delta.eecs.nwu.edu
Tue Jul 4 03:36:47 AEST 1989

In article <4129 at kalliope.rice.edu> amani at apl.ists.ca (Mahmood Amani) writes:

>Has anyone familiar with Sun 386i (150/250) managed to get 'top' and 'sps'
>running on these machines ?

For top, you first need to make sure that you have version 2.5.  It is
(currently) the only version that will work under SunOS 4.0 or later.  But
even that version won't work on a 386i.

The problem with both top and sps stems from what is in my opinion a poor
decision on the part of the 386i people: all external names in the kernel
do NOT have leading underscores.

Fixing this in top is relatively easy: just find the struct nlist
definition in "top.c" and remove all the underscores from the label names.
Then remake.

You can try this trick with sps as well, but there could very well be
other problems that prevent sps from working.  Sps does alot more kernel
mucking than top does.

		William LeFebvre
		Northwestern University
		<phil at eecs.nwu.edu>