LaTeX for the 386i Wanted

Bill LeFebvre phil at delta.eecs.nwu.edu
Tue Jul 4 03:30:56 AEST 1989

In article <4125 at kalliope.rice.edu> franz at asuvax.asu.edu (Chris Franz) writes:

>I would like to run LaTeX on a Sun 386i.  Since I don't have a Pascal
>compiler, I need a copy of the binary or a copy of the C source
>(preferred).  Can anybody help?

The Unix-TeX tape from Washington includes "web2c", a package that
converts the "brick" of Pascal which WEB produces into C.  In fact, the
Makefiles on the distribution tape are already set up to use this package.

So rather than the usual WEB -> Pascal -> binary (which requires a Pascal
compiler), the current distribtion makes a binary as follows: WEB ->
Pascal -> C -> binary, thus eliminating the need for a Pascal compiler
while still making the binary directly from Knuth's WEB source (which
makes tracking what few changes there are very easy).

The Unix TeX tape is available from The University of Washington for (I
believe) about $140.  It is freely redistributable---the price is solely
to cover distribution costs.

I think you can contact "mackay at june.cs.washington.edu" and get more
information about Unix-TeX.  There is also an Internet mailing list about
TeX: TeXHax at score.stanford.edu.

		William LeFebvre
		Northwestern University
		<phil at eecs.nwu.edu>