Laser Writer filter/quota system

Saul Jaffe jaffe at elbereth.rutgers.edu
Sat Jul 15 01:26:20 AEST 1989

In article <4217 at kalliope.rice.edu> loki at physicsa.mcgill.ca (Loki Jorgenson Rm421) writes:

> Are there available in the public domain or has someone hacked together
> for themselves either/or
>
> 1) A filter which does accounting for the LaserWriter II
>
> 2) A combined accounting/quota control for the LaserWriter
>
> I wish to be able to limit the access to the printer since users are
> taking a relaxed view of its use.  I am not aware of all of the details of
> TRANSCRIPT; prehaps there is some similar capability associated with it?

If you are running the standard sun software, including lpd, you may be
able to do what you want with the standard software.

lpd has a capability for restricting access to printers by group.  You can
put an entry in /etc/printcap - "rg:group" and that would restrict access
for that printer to only users in that group.

As for accounting, the utility "pac" that comes with lpd can be used to
read the accounting files as specified in /etc/printcap to produce a
report that lists the number of pages printed per user.  There is also a
switch to specify a cost per page so you can find out the real dollar
amount used by each user.  The Transcript package also writes accounting
info to the log files specified in /etc/printcap so you should be getting
all of the info if you have things set up correctly.

Saul Jaffe
Rutgers University
ARPA: Jaffe at elbereth.rutgers.edu
UUCP: ...!rutgers!elbereth.rutgers.edu!jaffe