extending the max number of open files.

Richard Nuttall richard at torch.UUCP
Fri Jul 28 19:04:55 AEST 1989

meulenbr at cstw01.prl.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) writes:

>Can someone tell me how I can extend the max. number of open files?  I've
>obtained a program which opens a lot of files, and I would prefer not to
>modify the program.

One of the benefits of SunOS4.0 is that you can have more open files than
the usual 20.

Looking in /sys/sys/param.h on my Sun386 gives NOFILE (max number of open
files per process) to be 64.

If this still isn't enough, you could try changing this value and
rebuilding the kernel, though I take no responsibility for anything that
might happen as a result.

<#include "std_disclaimer.h">

Richard Nuttall               |    ukc!stc!datlog!torch!richard
Torch Technology Ltd.         |    richard at torch.co.uk
Cambridge England             |    0223 841000 X 308