XON/XOFF (was Re: hp plotter)

Joe Smith tardis!jms at tymix.tymnet.com
Sat Jul 22 19:40:46 AEST 1989

In article <30 at brazos.Rice.edu> stiatl!meo at gatech.edu (Miles O'Neal) writes:
>In article <4155 at kalliope.rice.edu> beareq!quants5!fitz at ai.mit.edu (David Fitzgerald) writes:
| i am trying to connect a hp plotter  7475A to my sun 3/60 and run it
| through a printer daemon on /dev/ttya i.e.  lpr <plotter_file>
| the plotter file is straight ascii text file and i have no problems
| plotting about one page of commands. however the plotters error light
| flashes through the entire process and aborts after a small portion of a
| larger file.
>You need to (a) make sure the plotter is set up to do flow control via ^S
>and ^Q (one of the DIP switches) and (B) make sure that ttya is defined in
>ttytype as something reasonable for what you are doing, including having
>flow control set appropriately.

That's not enough.  You must be running either 3.5 or 4.0.3 of SunOS.  I
have a TI-800 printer running at 9600 baud on ttya, which needs XON/XOFF
since it prints at about 200 cps.  It worked just fine when I first got my
system (running SunOS 3.5), but failed when 4.0 was installed.  Explicitly
setting the 1 in ":fs#06021:" in printcap helped, but not much.  The 4.0.1
patch tape had no effect.  The problem was finally fixed after upgrading
to version 4.0.3 of SunOS.

Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS at F74.TYMNET.COM or jms at tymix.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms
PO Box 49019, MS-D21    | PDP-10 support: My car's license plate is "POPJ P,"
San Jose, CA 95161-9019 | narrator.device: "I didn't say that, my Amiga did!"