tcsh in a shell buffer (help !!)

Root Boy Jim rbj at dsys.ncsl.nist.gov
Wed Jul 19 04:04:23 AEST 1989

? From:    eho at word.princeton.edu (Eric Ho)

? Does anyone know how to make tcsh processes output sensibly ?  I'm getting
? all these extra ^M's at the end of lines in the shell buffer in Emacs.

You shouldn't be using tcsh as your shell in emacs. You don't need all the
emacs keys because you're already in a emacs buffer. And tcsh insists on
resetting your terminal to a sane mode anyway, so things like `stty -echo
nl' don't work.

What you want is

(setq explicit-shell-file-name "/bin/csh")
(setq shell-file-name      "/bin/csh")

in your .emacs. The documentation refers to both these variables. You may
be able to get away with only setting one, but I set both for safety.

Why is this in the Sun group instead of the emacs group?

? Any pointers appreciated.

char *foo = "bar";

? Eric Ho
? Cognitive Science Lab.,		Princeton University
? voice = 609-987-2819 (x2987)	email = eho at confidence.princeton.edu
? 					eho at bogey.princeton.edu
	Root Boy Jim
	Have GNU, Will Travel.