printing options for SUNs

Bill Mannel mannel at skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov
Thu Jul 13 06:05:37 AEST 1989

At NASA-Dryden Flight Research Facility (Edwards AFB CA) we have a SUN
3/280 fileserver with SUN 3/60 workstations (with disks) as clients.  We
also have FastPaths on the same network connecting to Mac SE's, II's,
IIx's.

We have one QMS KISS (non-PostScript) printer connected to a serial port
on the 3/280 and Apple LaserWriter I and II's on the AppleTalk network
connecting the Macs (that are in turn connected to the SUN network via the
FastPath).

We are currently looking for the best printing software we can get that
can do as much as possible of the following:

1.  Screen dumps from our mono and color SUN monitors
2.  Print cgm files (like those created by SUN GKS software)
3.  Print PostScript files out, as well as format text files in PostScript
    and then print them out.
4.  Print out Latex files

We have available the Apple LaserWriters and QMS KISS printer and don't really
have the money to buy any more printers.

Any suggestions?  Dealer replies are certainly welcome.

Bill Mannel
email mannel at freon.dfrf.nasa.gov
phone (805) 258-3899