Using make to compile for sun3 and sun4

gary at svx.sv.dg.com gary at svx.sv.dg.com
Wed Jul 12 18:17:54 AEST 1989

In article <4226 at kalliope.rice.edu> Kemp at dockmaster.ncsc.mil writes:
>After watching the "make wars" on info-unix between GNU make and AT&T
>toolchest make, I am convinced that we Sun users have a pretty good
>product that has lots of good features that were added without breaking
>compatibility or introducing lots of bugs.

Until you try to port, e.g., xtroff to your 4.0.x system and discover that
make got broken in 4.x for targets with 2 or more "."s in the name.

Having just tried to explain "yacc stack overflow" while porting c++ to the
Sun software rep, I can't wait to try this one on them ---
"Could you send us an example of the code that causes the yacc stack overflow?"
"Why?"
"Could you send us some targets with multiple "."s in them..."
--
Gary Bridgewater, Data General Corp., Sunnyvale Ca.
gary at sv4.ceo.sv.dg.com or