Sun VT220-PS/2 style keyboard

Barry Shein bzs at bu-cs.bu.edu
Sun Jul 30 04:31:17 AEST 1989

From: hedrick at geneva.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick)
>After hearing about how the type 4 keyboard is a creation of the devil,
>I've finally had a chance to use one.  I was pleasantly surprised.  It
>achieves reasonable compatibility with traditional Unix and PC keyboard
>designs.  Presumably PC compatibility is a goal both because it's used on
>the 386i and because there is DOS emulation software for the Sparcstation.
>Makes some sense.

I agree, it took an hour or two to get used to but I'm satisfied with it.
Maybe not the greatest keyboard I've ever used but it's fine and I hardly
think about it.

The only small gripe I have, and this may just be me, is that the way the
keys above the numeric row are angled I find I hit them a lot when
reaching for a numeric, a little distance might have helped or lower
profile on the keycaps, not sure, not fatal, getting used to this also.

I liked the Sun3 keyboard but the travel was a bit stiff for me and I
often found I didn't really have the shift key down all the way which was
annoying. I guess my favorite keyboards were the VT100 and old SUN2 (which
I can verify survived a 16-oz coffee bath and subsequent clean-up w/o a
glitch :-)

But this one is just fine, I don't understand what all the hub-bub is
about. I suggest people give it a chance before getting negative, have
more faith in your fingers' learning curves.

	-Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die, Purveyors to the Trade
1330 Beacon Street, Brookline, MA 02146, (617) 739-0202
Internet: bzs at skuld.std.com
UUCP:     encore!xylogics!skuld!bzs or uunet!skuld!bzs