Laser Printer for a Small Network of Suns?

John Eadie well!jae at lll-crg.llnl.gov
Tue Jul 4 02:49:24 AEST 1989

In article <4042 at kalliope.rice.edu> utzoo!henry at cs.utexas.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

>>The only advantage of the HP is that it's cheap.  Its major disadvantages

|Sounds like you've got the original LaserJet, which was indeed pretty
|dumb.  It is still possible to do typesetting on it if you go very easy on
|the fonts; there is nothing hard about mixing text and graphics, and
|missing characters can be drawn in by suitable software.  The later
|models, starting with the now-obsolete LaserJet Plus and including (I
|think) all current ones, have more memory, downloadable fonts, and
|somewhat improved graphics, and are generally better.  They are arguably
|superior to PostScript machines for bulk text printing, because the
|speed/dollar ratio is much better -- PostScript is hard to interpret
|quickly without spending a lot on hardware.  We've used them for years and
|are very happy with them.  You do need suitable software; they trade off
|hardware smarts for cost, and so the host has to supply the intelligence.
|
|If you are doing serious graphics or are prone to the "ransom note" style
                                                          ^^^^^
|of typography, however, you definitely want a PostScript printer.  We now
   ^^^

Yeah.  PostScript is necessary here and there.  If you're using different
fonts of the same typeface, say.  Or perhaps EVEN, yes, using more than
one typeface, or, making the face fit the the job, kerning with care,
trying to communicate with emphasis and clarity .. that is to say, where
one is concerned about GOOD Typography.

So to say, when your ransome notes are IMPORTANT for you.

john

John Eadie  Computing Art Inc  (416) 536-9951
E-Mail: jae at c-art.UUCP | {uunet,suncan}!c-art!jae | sun!jeadie