Extended Monitor Cables info needed

Paul Allen bcsaic!paula at beaver.cs.washington.edu
Sat Jul 22 14:44:15 AEST 1989

In article <34 at brazos.Rice.edu> miller at gaia.m2c.org writes:

>I am going to purchase an 100 foot cable which will allow me to place my
>Sun 3/260 in the computer room, while locating the monitor an office area.
>I have seen a product advertised by a company called Artecon (Carlsbad,
>Ca.).
>
>Has anyone used a product like this? Has anyone dealt with Artecon? (It
>seems that _good_ Sun distributors are really hard to come by...) Are
>there other vendors selling these types of cables? Is there a trick to
>running a monitor 100 feet from a pedestal, or could we just use coax and
>twisted pair?

I have the high-res mono monitors of four 3/280's located on the ends of
50-foot cables.  Someone (perhaps my local field engineer) gave me a
description of Sun's monitor and keyboard cables and I had a local
cable-maker build 50-foot duplicates.  We've been running this way for
over 6 months.  The keyboards work fine, but there's noticeable horizontal
smearing on the monitors.  Switching to a bold font helps.  For the price
we paid, I'm fairly satisfied, but I'm not sure I'd do it again.

I'm aware of the Artecon cables, but have no experience with them.  We've
done business with Artecon and would do so again.  For the price they're
charging for the cables, I would imagine that they work fairly well.

Paul Allen

Paul L. Allen                       | pallen at atc.boeing.com
Boeing Advanced Technology Center   | ...!uw-beaver!bcsaic!pallen