HP-UX tapes: summary

Lyle Wiedeman wiedeman at orion.cf.uci.edu
Thu Jun 22 09:43:44 AEST 1989

My profuse thanks to the newsgroup.  My problem isn't solved,
but I do understand it.

I received 15 responses.

The bottom line is: one cannot convince a Sun to read a HP-UX tape.
Virtually everyone agreed that HP uses a unique cartridge tape system
completely incompatible with anyone else.

I have one person who believes there is a byte-order problem, one who
believes a special program writes the tapes, one who believes HP uses 7
tracks instead of 4 or 11, two who believe HP can use cartridge tapes as
random-access devices, four who believe there is special formatting
information in the first block, six who believe the tapes are
pre-formatted by 3M, six who believe the tapes wind in the *opposite
direction*, and three people who offered to copy the tape to a more
standard format, if I could find no HP 9144 cartridge tape drives on
campus.  Thanks, gals and guys :-)

--
	Lyle Wiedeman                 Distributed Computing Support
	wiedeman at orion.cf.uci.edu     Academic Computing Services