SUN 3/140 CRASHING.....

Winston Seah ELESKG%NUSVM.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu
Thu Jun 22 09:05:35 AEST 1989

We have a SUN 3/140 connected to a 80mbps fiber optic ring network. It is
used primarily for R&D and at any one time there is at most 2 person using
it. Recently the SUN crashes quite often unexpectedly, and each time there
is only one user running Sunview. The error messages displayed are as
follows:

panic: Bus error
zs2: silo overflow
syncing file systems... done

dumping to vpf13bc84, offset 25500
510 total pages, sump succeeded
rebooting...

What I would like to know is what is the likely cause of these crashes and
what do those error messages and those prior (usually traceback info) to
these mean. Is there some form of documentation that explains them? the
local distributor does not have any ideas at all.

Sometimes the message refers to "zs3: ...." instead of "zs2: ....".

Please send me your suggestions, comments, observations, etc. Thanks.

Winston Seah
Dept of EE, National University of Singapore
ELESKG at NUSVM.BITNET