16" trinitron monitors

Dikran Kassabian deke at ee.rochester.edu
Thu Jun 29 23:51:29 AEST 1989

Perhaps this has been covered already.. if so I apologize for the repeat;
I'm not reading this group as much as I used to.

Here at the University of Rochester Department of Electrical Engineering,
we use workstations with color monitors to run graphical CAD applications
in the design process of integrated circuits and printed circuit boards.
The quality of the display is very important to us in that we need to view
large portions of the layouts with a great deal of detail.  In the past,
the sun color monitors (made by various manufacturers) have been less than
ideal... we have had convergence problems and focus problems in portions
of the screen.

Recently, we began to order our new stations with 16" sony trinitrons, in
hopes that this would be a higher quality display more suited to our CAD
applications.  Unfortunately, we learned that there was a feature we
hadn't counted on... two thin horizontal wires (one about 1/3 of the way
down from the top of the screen, the other about 2/3 of the way down)
which we have since learned are "normal" and are there (I think) for mesh
stabilization.  Yuck! These visible wires interfere with our work.

Now for my question(s).  Does anyone know of other high quality color
monitors that will be "plug compatible" with our 3/60 and 3/80
workstationa?  If so, perhaps you could pass on a phone number or address
so that I may look into pricing and availability.  Also, for those who now
use the trinitron, have you found a way to minimize this annoyance?  Can
anyone comment as to whether future trinitrons will be available without
this feature?

Please respond by email.  I'd be happy to summarize if there is sufficient
interest.  Thanks in advance.

      ^Deke Kassabian,   deke at ee.rochester.edu   or   ur-valhalla!deke
   Univ of Rochester, Dept of EE, Rochester, NY 14627     (+1 716-275-3106)