Name server problems (nsloo

Mark L. Fausett fausett at radc.af.mil
Thu Jun 29 08:24:39 AEST 1989

HELP!
I have a name server which seems to be working properly, but doesn't
interface well with nslookup --

% nslookup
*** Can't find server name for address 127.0.0.1: No information
*** Default servers are not availible
%

other machines using a resolv.conf pointing at this machine get a similar
error.  BUT -- I can kludge the system by doing something like this:

% nslookup -l <some weird hostname here>

which eventually reports a timeout and connects to my local server!  while
this nslookup is working, other machines pointing at this machine can use
the server too!

WHAT IS GOING ON? PLEASE SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME!

Mark Fausett
fausett at ra.radc.af.mil
fausett at tops20.radc.af.mil (this one's in the host tables)