proposal for mail.sparc

Mark Linimon linimon at killer.dallas.tx.us
Thu Jun 22 03:20:16 AEST 1989

I am proposing the creation of a mailing list, mail.sparc, to provide a
forum for technical issues relating to implementation and usage of the
SPARC architecture.  This list will be specifically focused towards those
either programming the architecture in assembler, or integrating the
architecture into systems.

Example of topics that I feel would fall within the scope of mail.sparc:

  - Implementation issues among Cypress, Fujitsu, BIT, TI, and other chip sets.

  - Strategies for context switching.

  - Cross-development tool availability.

  - Product updates from SPARC chip vendors.

  - Contemplated extensions to the architecture.

Example of topics that I feel would _not_ fall within the scope of mail.sparc:

  - Comparison of SPARC vs. other architectures.

  - Comparison of Sun-4, Solbourne, or other performances.

  - System administration issues on Sun-4s, Solbournes, or others.

  - Sun software issues (excepting cross-compilation tools).

  - SPARC-based system product announcements.

the detail level with the SPARC architecture.  The proposed content of the
group is

    "Technical information relating to the SPARC architecture, which is
     too specific for the general USENET audience of comp.sys.sun,
     comp.arch, and/or comp.newprod."

Participation will be open to all, including employees of Sun and other
manufacturers.

If you have an interest in seeing this list created, or have comments pro
or con, please **email** your comments to me at the below address.  NB:
direct replies to this posting will reach me, but in a (possibly) delayed
fashion.

Mark Linimon
Mizar, Inc.
sparc-request at mizarvme
{killer, convex, sun!texsun}!mizarvme!sparc-request

disclaimer: this project uses Mizar resources but is being done as a spare-
time effort.  The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect
those of Mizar, Inc., or its employees, suppliers, or customers.