SCSI cable converter wanted, SUN -> DIP

Chris Brown chris at aivru.sheffield.ac.uk
Thu Jun 15 01:07:47 AEST 1989

David Kwong asks in v8n9:

> I have a need to plug a SCSI device with an embedded controller (that has
> a 50-pin Dual-in-line connector) to a SUN-3 workstation (that has a 50-pin
> connector on 3 rows).  Does anyone know where I can find a cable with the
> two connectors?

You can easily make one. You need a 50-way male "D" type insulation
displacement connector (609-50P), a 50-way female insulation displacement
connector (609-5001M -- I think these are the 3M part numbers but I'm not
certain) and an appropriate length of 50-way ribbon cable. Any good
component distributor should be able to supply these. I could tell you
where to get them in the UK, but I guess that wouldn't help. You don't
need special tooling to fit them, a vice (plus a little care) is
sufficient.

BTW, the pinout used on the 50 way "D" socket on the back of a 3/50 or a
3/60 doesn't look at all like the standard SCSI pinout if you number the
"D" socket pins in the traditional way (top row pins 1-17, middle row
18-33, bottom row 34-50), which is how they are in fact numbered on the
actual connector moulding. But when you look at the numbering as seen on
the ribbon cable, you *do* get standard SCSI pinout. The mapping is
obvious once you think about the topology inside the IDC plug!

Hope this helps,

Chris Brown, A.I. Vision Research Unit, Sheffield University
(chris at aivru.sheffield.ac.uk)