New keyboards

Richard Tobin richard%aiai.edinburgh.ac.uk at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Thu Jun 15 00:15:34 AEST 1989

It has been said that people aren't really objecting to the new keyboards,
they're objecting to the change.

This is only partly true.  Some things really *are* bad about it, in
particular the delete/backspace placement.

People who believe it's the change rather than the keyboard have also said
that this means we'll get used to it after a while.

Again, there is some truth in this.  But many of us are going to have to
switch back and forth between the different machines for a long time.  We
still have several Sun-2s with both click and silent keyboards, and we
can't afford to throw them away, let alone our old Sun-3s.

On a more postitive note, I'm sure the program Guy Harris has posted will
go some way to alleviating the problem.

-- Richard