swapping over nfs

Martin Reed mr at racal-itd.co.uk
Thu Jun 8 01:23:50 AEST 1989

Our experience is that taking a /export/swap partition to 111% "full" is
fine, and I can't think of a good reason why not. I have noticed that swap
files have the sticky bit set. I know that SunOS4.0 kernel code does
something with this but haven't work out what, as yet.

More generally, it seems to me that very little research has been
performed by informed individuals on tuning the Berkeley Fast File System
in the modern environment (i.e. large disks, faster CPU and controllers).
Or, if they are, they're not publishing. Surely somebody out there wants
some glory! :-).

        Martin Reed, Racal Imaging Systems Ltd