SunView programming/ASYNC terminals

David Wyatt Wyatt at dockmaster.ncsc.mil
Thu Jun 22 12:08:00 AEST 1989

My firm is getting a Sun 3/80 with SunOS 4.0.3 and the standard suite of
support software including SunView.  We are developing a data processing
package for a federal agency which has a variety of Sun 2s and Sun 3s with
SunOS 3.4 and SunView.  We will be building a straightforward graphical
interface with SunView (windows, buttons, scroll bars, slide bars, dialog
boxes -- but no intense plots or graphing).

We want to attach a terminal to the system so that two programmers can
work at the same time.  Since the majority of the effort (the main code
and functionality have already been built) will be coding the interface,
we would like a graphic capability for the terminal equal (or close to)
the Sun terminal (19" monochrome).

Does anyone know the best approach?

We have been looking at X-terminals.  Since our graphical interface will
be rather simple, will we be able to develop it (>90%) on the X-terminal
and port it to SunView, or is that too hard?

Would we be able to prototype the screens in X and convert them to SunView
without killing ourselves?  Is there another device which can be used for
such development?

Please reply directly.  Note, on Multics, I cannot use the "at" symbol (it
erases the current line).  Also, this is my first time sending mail
outside DOCKMASTER, so bear with me.

Thanks in advance.

David Wyatt
Wyatt "at" dockmaster.arpa