Using tseetool with pic

Mitchell Wyle wyle at inf.ethz.ch
Wed Jun 21 18:24:35 AEST 1989

In article <3711 at kalliope.rice.edu> abrams%smiley at gateway.mitre.org writes:
>I have been unable to use tseetool with drawings created by pic.
>Apparently tseetool doesn't understand the line drawing commands.  Is
>there aversion of tseetool or some other way to prevue drawings created by
>pic.

There is a version of pic which produces dots instead of lines.  This
version can be used with tseetool.  If you have access to it, use it.
Cheers,  -Mitch

>I appreciate that most people probably use fig and f2p, but I have found
>that the clean-up required is more time-consuming and painful than using
>pic.  However, I would be happy to correspond with anyone who would care
>to discuss alternatives.

I use fig f2p and then pic.dots for previewing and pic for printing.  I
have a big script and tooltool environment to make the whole sucker
mouse-driven.  Although troff is not wysiwyg, a combination of fig, f2p,
troff, tseetool and friends has certain advantages:  You can use refer(1).
Nothing can touch refer (except bibtex but that's another story).  You can
use grap(1) which can extract "live" actual data at print time, can handle
huge data volumes and makes cute plots.  You can use the get_selection(1)
command to preview a small (mouse-selected) piece of your document.  This
feature is great for debugging eqn(1) code!  I admit that programming and
formatting is not as "sexy" as wysiwyg, but sunwrite/draw/paint are slow
on my 3/50, and I haven't read the tex book(s) [yet?].

I'm not sure this discussion belongs here; I've directed follow-ups to
comp.text.  -Mitch
--
-Mitchell F. Wyle
Institut fuer Informationssysteme         wyle at inf.ethz.ch
ETH Zentrum / 8092 Zurich, Switzerland    +41 1 256 5237