Apollo-Sun cartridge tape reading thru tar?

Cynthia G. Anderson cynthia at cod.nosc.mil
Thu Jun 15 01:55:36 AEST 1989

my problem is two-fold.

question 1: for the apollo folks--

I'm trying to get the tar command to read a cartridge tape of mine.  the
tape was made using wbak and has a single file on it.  to get a listing I
type:   (in c-shell) tar tbf 1 /dev/rct8 what I get is an error " tar:
directory checksum error (0 != 10459) ".  I don't understand exactly what
I'm doing wrong?  any ideas?

question 2: for both apollo and sun people--

I want to be able to write a cartridge tape so that either the a sun-3 or
4 OR an apollo DN 3010 can read it.  I've been told it's possible using
tar and some sort of particular format forced on the tape; but I haven't
found anyone here who really knows how to do it.  help?

thanks so much for any and all suggestions...

	cynthia anderson
	cynthia at cod.nosc.mil
	Naval Oceans Systems Center
	San Diego, CA 92152