itrunc error messages

Mark Plotnick mp at allegra.att.com
Mon Jun 5 02:56:08 AEST 1989

Occasionally the consoles on our 4.0.1 Sun-4's show messages like this:

itrunc: /export/root/22545 new size = 0, blocks = -16

Does anyone know why these messages are produced, and is it something to
worry about?  I thought the messages might be caused by some funny sparse
files that some of the vlsi programs produce (such files contain data at
very large offsets, e.g. just under 0x7fffffff), because our 4.3bsd-beta
system would print out similar messages when removing such files, and
these files cause the 4.3BSD and SunOS 4.0.1 fsck's some indigestion.  But
I can't reproduce the error using simple programs that do
creat/lseek/write/close followed by creat or unlink.

	Mark Plotnick
	allegra!mp
	mp at allegra.att.com