new Sun type-4 keyboards

Root Boy Jim rbj at dsys.ncsl.nist.gov
Sat Jun 24 05:09:05 AEST 1989

? From:    Stephen Gildea <gildea at bbn.com> [The original poster]

? I recognize that good keyboard layout is difficult.  Look at the mess DEC
? made of the VT220, for example.  However, the desirable features have been
? understood for a long time.  Symbolics has had a very nice design for
? about eight years.

I may as well add my 2\(cts to The Great Keyboard Debate...

I haven't seen the alleged /dev/kbd's yet, so I can't comment on them per
se. However, you *could* muck with the translation table.

BTW, DEC got hip with their VT320 (or whatever) terminal. The setup mode
allows you to choose between `/~ and escape, putting the <>'s back where
they belong, and moving the `/~ to where <> are. Now if they would only
allow you to make the compose key into a meta key...

?  < Stephen

	Root Boy Jim is what I am
	Are you what you are or what?