How many X terminals can I hang on a 4 processor Solbourne?

Jeffrey J. Hallman m1jjh00 at fed.frb.gov
Sat Jun 10 05:41:00 AEST 1989

We are thinking of buying a 4 processor Solbourne server for use as a file
(and compute) server.  The Solbourne comes now with 16mhz Fujitsu SPARC
processors, but an upgrade to Cypress 33mhz processors is said (by
Solbourne) to be available RSN.  Since we need a server, and the 4
processor Solbourne costs about the same as a uniprocessor SPARCserver, it
seems to us to be a better deal.

The Solbourne with Cypress processors is supposed to be a 60 MIP machine.
It seems a shame to have all those MIPS and not make much use of them, so
we're thinking about buying some X terminals to use with the server.  Our
network runs over a 10 megabit Ethernet, and will not be upgraded to fiber
optics anytime soon.

With that long winded introduction, let me tap the wisdom of the net.
Does anyone out there have any experience with this kind of a setup?  Is
the Solbourne a good X machine?  How many X terminals can we reasonably
expect to run with good performance?  Would you recommend a particular
manufacturer of X terminals?  How much of a burden does each terminal put
on the network?  What else should we be considering?

Jeff Hallman,  Stop 71		  USENET    uunet!fed!m1jjh00
Division of Monetary Affairs      INTERNET  jhallman at fed.frb.gov
Federal Reserve Board             PHONE     (202) 452-3424
Washington, DC 20551      <-- <-- Snail Mail