automated reboot of remote Suns

Trevor Wright "Marconi Baddow" trw at hrc63.co.uk
Thu Jun 1 23:31:06 AEST 1989

A couple of days back I requested hard information on how to reliably
reboot remote systems from a central system (for purposes of disc backup).

On the same day the answer appeared in the unix.questions newsgroup - so
thanks very much. We tried the 'quietly' suggestion and it works just
fine.

the trick is to ensure the remote process has all its standard
error/standard output etc etc directed to /dev/null. If this is so then
the 'rsh' you use on the central system will finish OK while the remote
system proceeds to shutdown and reboot

Trevor Wright

GEC Research/Chelmsford/UK