YP server not responding

Rick McGonegal sysrick at cfht.cfht.hawaii.edu
Wed Jun 21 07:48:42 AEST 1989

We have a problem on a mixed net of Sun4's, Sun3's, and HP machines. The
symptom is that, when a YP server slows down and a client tries to switch,
then the client cannot make the switch to a (faster) YP server.  The
client starts issuing "YP server for domain ... not responding" forever
until it is rebooted.

This problem *only* arises when the client has a default route in its
routing tables. This problem first arose in the rc.local file where the
startup of routed precedes the call to /etc/mount -vat nfs. We commented
out the routed startup and added a static default route after the nfs
mounts.

Any clues would be appreciated.
 Rick McGonegal			INTERNET	sysrick at cfht.hawaii.edu
 C.F.H.T. Corp. 		BITNET		sysrick at UHCFHT