how to hook two 3/80's together?

Kent Hauser tfd!kent at uunet.uu.net
Wed Jun 21 09:26:49 AEST 1989

I'm going to have a couple of 3/80's in here shortly & I have a question
about how to go about hooking them up.

We currently have a Sun-3 thin ethernet, with the machines running SunOS
3.5.  It is desired to hook to 3/80's (temporarily) to the thin-net.

However, the 3/80's will only run SunOS 4.x & only have thick-net.

Here are the required connections:

1) The two 3/80's need to be permanently hooked together.  However, they
will never be more than 5 feet apart.  Is there some way to skip the
transceiver nonsense & just wire them together?

2) The 3/80's will only be connected to the other machines for development
purposes & I was wondering if we could just run SLIP between one of the
existing Sun-3's and one of the 3/80's & get the desired connectivity.
(we have slip.tar.Z but have never installed it.)

Any pointers/comments/gotcha's would be appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Kent Hauser			UUCP: sun!sundc!tfd!kent
Twenty-First Designs		INET: kent%tfd.uucp at sundc.east.sun.com