Improving performance on a NFS server

daedalus!kovar at husc4.harvard.edu daedalus!kovar at husc4.harvard.edu
Fri Jun 23 07:33:37 AEST 1989

We have a Sun 386i/250 serving a collection of 10 diskfull Sun 386i/150s.
When a lot of users are filing large images they get messages similar to
"Network server not responding". No major deal, NFS will keep trying 'til
it works. On the other hand, I would like to squeeze the most performance
out of this setup with the fewest delays. So, I have the following
questions:

	1) What tools are best for determining where bottlenecks are?
	2) What statistics are indicative of what problems?
	3) What parameters should I adjust to see what sort of results?
	4) Given that no students are around at the moment, what is the
	   best way to flex NFS?

I know parts of the answers to these questions but some sort of cohesive
reply would be nice. I'm sure there are simple answers that I've missed.
Thank you, in advance.

-David C. Kovar
	Technical Consultant			ARPA: kovar at husc4.harvard.edu
	Office of Information Technology	BITNET: corwin at harvarda.bitnet
	Harvard University			MacNET: DKovar
						Ma Bell: 617-495-5947

"It is easier to get forgiveness than permission."