SunOS on optifloppy for servers ??

Eric Y.W. Ho eho at bogey.princeton.edu
Fri Jun 2 12:57:09 AEST 1989

Is there anyone at Sun seriously contemplating putting SunOS on
optifloppies (I mean for servers & dataless clients) ?  I mean currently
relying on using tapes to bootstrap & load your system is too
constraining.  Morever, if your / & /usr partitions got damaged then
you've to do quite a bit of work to get your system back up again.  If
you've all the important stuff (i.e. all the system files/binaries
...etc..) on the optifloppies then one may be able to make a mirror image
of those things and when you do indeed managed to damage say the root
partition, all you need to do is to kick in your other optifloppy and go.
Also, using optifloppy to store all these system stuff seems to be more
reliable than using hard disks.  Perhaps the important point here is quick
turnaround time and ease of use -- that means that one can easily try out
different OS releases (or even different OS'es) by simply ejecting the
current optifloppy and insert a new one in.

Eric Ho
Princeton Cognitive Science Lab.,	Princeton University
email = eho at phoenix.princeton.edu	voice = 609-987-2819