Has anyone received their SPARCstations?

Daniel Quinlan ssl.berkeley.edu!danq at cs.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 28 04:44:51 AEST 1989

In article <4020 at kalliope.rice.edu> you write:

|In article <3925 at kalliope.rice.edu> elan!kg at ames.arc.nasa.gov (Ken Greer) writes:
|>
|>Has anyone in the world their received a real SPARCstation 1?
|>
|>We ordered ours a few days after they were announced -- SUN still won't
|>give us a delivery date!  Scott M. said they would be shipping in volume
|>by now at the big announcement.
|>

|We got ours! We ordered them in March (pre-anounce), received them in MAy,
|and have JUST RECENTLY got the software to run them!! It seems Sun
|expected everyone to buy internal disks with them. We use strictly a
|server environment, and 4.0 is not enough to boot them from. We had to
|wait for 4.0.3! And loading 4.0.3 on a 4.0.1 4/280 is best the subject of
|yet another message.
|
|*Needless to say, I speak for my own experiences/ your mileage may vary,
|and my employers' is not reflected by my opinions.
|
|Dave Botticello  - GE CRD  - phone(voice) 518-387-6065 Home 518-393-8671
|E-mail - botticel at orion.crd.ge.com  or uunet!steinmetz!orion!botticel or
|         botticello at crd.ge.com      or botticel%orion at steinmetz.UUCP
|land   - 1 River Road KWB-1606 Schenectady, N.Y. 12301

I just recently got the four diskless sparcstations I ordered in March,
and I have the 4.0.3 software installed on a Sun 4/280.  However, I
haven't been able to get them to boot, and Sun has told me I need a Sun 4c
patch tape.  You didn't mention that, so have you been successful booting
your machines without the patch tape?

Mine doesn't get very far; it returns from the boot attempt with the
message "file not found".  I'm not entirely convinced the wrong software
is to blame, but that's what Sun service says.

One neat thing is the forth in the rom -- does yours have that, or are we
a special case?  On ours, if you say n or c after the boot fails, you're
talking to (Mitch Bradley's) forth -- at least 100k of it!

Anyway, I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have to get my diskless
machines working.  Thanks in advance.

Daniel Quinlan 		danq at sag4.ssl.berkeley.edu
Space Sciences Laboratory
UC Berkeley