Slow service and legal remedies

Evan Moore 91erm at bigbird.cc.williams.edu
Mon Jun 19 22:22:58 AEST 1989

Boy, did I cause a fuss.  I want to make it clear that my message in
SunSpots v8n19 was not meant as a slam against Sun.  As I said at the end
of my message, I don't hate Sun.  The service we've gotten has always been
great considering our contracts.  Hardware calls have always been returned
promptly, and given that we have only minimal support and update service
for software it's great they don't just drop the line when I call the 800
number and ask for software help.

As I thought I made clear, I was just throwing out an idea.  Sun has had
trouble at times with service delays, and there have been people miffed
because they didn't feel they were getting good response.  I haven't been
one of them.  I was just pretending I was a really big place that could
buy quick response contracts and what I might do if I felt slighted.

As the net pointed out, and with which I totally agree, suits should be
the last step.  I would of course (as suggested by one message) meet with
the district managers and whatnot before doing anything legal, and I
personally would be much more interested in trying to find other sources
of support than committing to a suit.  Given the hassles of suing, I don't
think there are many sites which would actually seek relief through this
route.

Compared to my experiences with other major computer vendors, Sun's
support is great.  On my very first Sun (which wasn't under contract) I
found myself in a tight situation where it was hard to assign blame for a
number of minor accidents involved in a repair, and the whole mess was
nicely resolved to the satisfaction of everyone's spirits and budgets.  I
doubt other companies would have been so flexible.

I hope this settles everyone's feathers.  I really didn't mean to cause
some of the hostility I raised.  I just brought up an idea, which the
community has basically rejected, and which I never meant to be
advocating.

Evan R. Moore
Academic Computing Group
Williams College