Anonymous FTP on Sun

tjcm at stl.stc.co.uk tjcm at stl.stc.co.uk
Tue Nov 21 04:49:28 AEST 1989

I am currently trying to set up an anonymous ftp service on a Sun 3/260
running SunOS 4.0.1. I am not entirely sure how to go about this, but we
do have other Non-Sun machines around the site which have been
successfully configured and I have based my initial attempt on those.

The set-up is as follows:

	Create an ftp user in /etc/passwd:

		ftp:*:5555:6:Anon. FTP:/usr/spool/ftp:

	Create a directory /usr/spool/ftp with two sub-directories ./bin and
	./etc.
	Place the binaries 'sh' and 'ls' in the ./bin directory.
	Place a 'passwd' file in the ./etc directory.
	The 'passwd file contains the following three users:

		root:*:0:1:Operator,SYSTEM:/:
		nobody:*:32767:32767:Mismatched NFS ID's:/:
		ftp:*:5555:6:Anon. FTP:/:

When I try to make an ftp connection from another machine I get the
following complaint when I use the 'ls' command within ftp:

mach1% ftp -n mach2
Connected to mach2
220 mach2 FTP server (SunOS 4.0) ready.
ftp> user ftp root
331 Guest login ok, send ident as password.
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 ASCII data connection for /bin/ls (XXX.YYY.200.6,1513).
crt0: no /usr/lib/ld.so
226 ASCII Transfer complete.
25 bytes received in 0.06 seconds (.41 Kbytes/s)
ftp>

It would appear that the problem is that /bin/ls is a dynamically linked
executable. Other commands appear to work fine; I created a directory
/usr/spool/ftp/pub and place a few files in there which can all be
accessed using the 'get' command.

I tried placing a copy of 'ld.so' in /usr/spool/ftp/usr/lib/ld.so but ftp
complained with:
150 ASCII data connection for /bin/ls (XXX.YYY.200.6,1534).
crt0: no /dev/zero
226 ASCII Transfer complete.

My initial use for anon. ftp is to allow other machines to copy certain
files from my machine on a nightly basis; So any batch scripts which I
create will work fine.

Does anyone know what further steps I must take to allow users to log in
to ftp and browse through the files I am exporting using the 'ls' command.
Is their a version of 'ls' somewhere in the SunOS filesystem which is not
dynamically linked ?!

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Crawford Macnab      ( tjcm at stl.stc.co.uk +44-279-29531 Ext 2153 )