rsh screendump | screenload

Scott Schwartz schwartz at psuvax1.cs.psu.edu
Sat Nov 11 18:07:35 AEST 1989

In article <2812 at brazos.Rice.edu> stanonik at nprdc.navy.mil writes:
| I'm surprised init (sunview?) doesn't chown /dev/fb(?) to the person
| logged at the console and then chmod 600, similar to how tty's are
| handled.

Sunview does pseudo ttys wrong too.  X does tty's correctly, but xterm
needs to be suid root.  Sunview should do the same.  Same comments apply
to /etc/utmp.  (World writable?  Give us a break!)

As for /dev/fb, you need to make suntools suid if you want that to work.
Sun should have done something, rather than just punt. I agree.  The right
fix is a general purpose device allocator.  Various designs have been
proposed at various times on comp.unix.wizards.

Scott Schwartz		<schwartz at shire.cs.psu.edu>
"More mips; cheaper mips; never too many." -- John Mashey