4/280S hangs with nfsd in INODE/KERNELMA wait

Rodney Peck II rodney at taac.ipl.rpi.edu
Mon Nov 20 09:36:37 AEST 1989

>>>>> On 10 Nov 89 14:06:44 GMT, aco%math.tau.ac.il at cunyvm.cuny.edu said:
aco> X-Refs:  Original: v8n180
aco> X-Sun-Spots-Digest: Volume 8, Issue 197, message 2 of 12

> On occasions, to numerous to mention, over the last couple of weeks our
> Sun 4/280S have had the load average skyrocket (i.e. >60) after which it
> is catatonic and must be rebooted.

aco> Our Sun 3/160S has the same problems. (since SunOS 4.0.3_Export has been
aco> installed).

> When this happened the other day we tried to look around before rebooting.
> Shutting down to single user mode we got the "Something won't die, ps axl
> advised."  Below is the output from the "ps axl".  We have also noticed
> one of the nfsds waiting on `kernelma' just as the load starts to climb.
> This machine is also subject to the infamous `Bus Error Reg 20<TIMEOUT>'
> and `BAD TRAP' panics that have been reported here by ourselves and
> others.

Our sun 4/280 file server has a similar problem.  The other day, the
number of jobs went thru the roof and the nfsd's (eight of them) were all
taking about 5 to 7% of the cpu time.

We ignored it for the day, hoping it would mellow out because we had two
jobs that had been running for days on the machine and couldn't really
just bag them and reboot.

I hope someone will come up with the solution to this problem.

Rodney